Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Petunia Pickle Bottom Dilemma

So I am at PBK (Pottery Barn Kids) to order my crib and changing table and I am looking around the store to see if anything else catches my eye. I have a 10% off moving coupon that I can only use once so I figure I might as well buy some things that I may want and I can always return them later. Yes, of course I know that’s how they get you, but what can I say? I’m a sucker for good deals… So I see this great diaper bag that is way too much monies, but apply the above theory and it’s mine along with a changing pad, changing pad cover, and the letters L, I, and M – A is on backorder until the middle of October. I mean really? How can an A be on backorder??? But the nice lady who also happens to live in Exeter orders it for me online to be shipped to me (for free!) So whatevs. I pack up all of my goodies and scurry home super excited.

The first thing I do when I get home is hang the bag on the stroller and it just doesn’t look quite right. Greg of course is always super supportive and super unhelpful, “It doesn’t have to match the stroller! And it looks great sweetie.” He is also not a big fan of my buying and returning things habit... So flash forward a couple weeks and the changing pad cover no longer matches the bedding set so in I go back to pbk with my cover and diaper bag – just in case I see something I like better. It just so happens that they have a gray one with a small amount of yellow, which would match our stroller perfectly. I, however, immediately loose all decision making skills. I am now equally torn between the two bags. I text Greg a picture of both asking his opinion, but it doesn’t go through, besides, we already know what he will say… Something along the lines of – silly wife, just pick one! Or you aren’t going to go with what I pick anyways, so why should I pick. The later is his favorite when we are out. And while it may be true it’s not that I don’t trust his opinion, but it’s that sometimes I need someone to pick something else so I can realize which one I really wanted.

Anyways back to pbk, I then text Sis n’ Law Jenny. Who is much better at decision making then I am. Please note the checkout lady was no help at all - she was all ooo I love the lime green. She goes on about something and then it seems like she is talking me out of owning either diaper bag – something about how she had a nice one, but just used the one from the hospital – can’t understand why they are so expensive, blah, blah- so I just start to ignore her. Clearly, she just doesn’t get it – I don’t care how many kids she has on me. I mean I already have it narrowed my search down to two, I really can’t start over at this point…So I “decide” to just buy the gray one without returning the green one and told them I am going to take them home to my husband so he can decide. Not true. I am going to go home and agonize over another silly decision. I walk out the store and get the text response from Jenny, “The one on the right! My coworker said the one of the left is gay. :)” I look at them again and she’s so right! The daisies are actually really annoying me now. And I think my subconcious knew I wanted the gray one because I couldn’t give it up when the sales lady picked lime green for me. So thank you, Jenny’s coworker. I marched back in to the store and returned the green one. I don’t really care if they all think (/know) that I’m crazy, but can you imagine Greg’s face if I had gotten home with TWO (not cheap) diaper bags??!! Anyways – I am loving my new bag!!! Can’t wait to hang it on the stroller and power walk the town in style!!!

1 comment: