Thursday, July 28, 2011

My Fat Fingers!

Okay so they are not even noticeably fat - at least not to you anyways. To me, my once long lean fingers are slowly turning into paws or ‘Greg hands’ as I am now referring to them inside my head. Not that I have inner dialogues about my hands with myself all that often, but seriously, pregnancy changes
e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g...

While I can deal with my stubby greggy like fingers, this week marked a turning point as I can no longer comfortably wear my wedding rings. I know some people take their rings off every night, but I wore mine all the time and these past few days without them have been a bit traumatic. After I took them off during the day at work, I knew it was time to give them a permanent location at home for the next few months.

It’s not just the nakedness I feel when I reach down to twirl and admire my beautiful rings or even the general sense that something is missing - it’s also the fact that I feel just a little insecure looking so pregnant and looking so un-wed at the same time. Not that it even really matters, but I sort of feel like people are going to look at me differently.
Just last week the Marshall’s guy was all: Is this your name on the credit card?
Me: ummm yes.
Him: Just have to check because some mothers give their girls the credit card to spend and they aren’t allowed to do that here.
Me: Umm...my mom lives in Atlanta. (not the most clever response, but I was caught off guard!)
Him: Well, regardless of whether or not the mother still lives at home...
Him: *concerned face*
Great not only does he think that I am 16 and pregnant, but that my mother also abandoned me!! I took my credit card back with my left hand hoping that he might notice the giant rock on my finger and realize his mistake. Hello - I'm old enough to be on my own, I have a husband, clearly, look. Look!!... not likely... 

I am sure one day I will be stoked about the fact that I don't look old enough to have my own credit cards, but at the moment I am not really loving it. And now as my ring finger tan line slowly fades away I will probably be reaching for things with my right hand more often. I am seriously missing my rings... I have even already visited them a few times in their secret hiding place to give them some love and let them know they are still cared for. At least I know they will be safe until birth time and not carelessly abandoned at my desk because I’m having a fatty finger day. 
(We will add this to the exponentially growing list of reasons why I want baby to get here now - right after ‘cute ass baby hats’ of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment